About BIF Centre
Bioinformatic Infrastructure Facility (BIF) Centre, S. Kula Women’s College, Nambol was established in 2008 (No. BT/BI/12/042/2007 dated 11th February, 2008) under the financial support from Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India for three years. After minute discussion with DBT expert team, BIF Centre, S. K. Women’s College, Nambol is extended up to 2 + 6 years with financial supports. The BIF centre is trying to develop a database on Biodiversity of the college. BIF Centre procured 20 Desktop Computers, 3 IBM Server and software for gene sequence analysis like Genious Pro (R7). The BIF Centre analysed 17 nos. of DNA sequences of Banana of Manipur and submitted to the National Centre for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) gene Bank, Maryland, U.S. and it is now in the public domain since 2017 November.
Manpower of the BIF Centre:
|Sl. No.||Name of the Staffs||Designation||Qualification||Period of Engagement|
|1||S. Meenakshi Devi||R.A.||M.Sc. Bioinformatics||01-04-2014 to 31-03-19|
|2||H. Jashoda Devi||R.A.||MCA||01-04-2014 to 31-03-17|
|3||Sh. Surodhani Devi||R.A.||M.Sc. Biotechnology||01-04-2014 to 31-03-2016|
|4||Th. Pushparani Devi||R.A.||M.Sc. Biotechnology||01-04-2015 to 31-03-18|
|5||N. Sonia Devi||Traineeship||M.Sc. Biotechnology||01-04-2014 to 31-03-16|
|6||Omega Devi||Traineeship||M.Sc. Biotechnology||01-04-2016 to 31-03-18|
|7||S. Thoibi Devi||Studentship||M.Sc. Biotechnology||01-04-2016 to 31-03-17|
- To enhance the knowledge of Bioinformatics tools & techniques to UG, PG and Ph. D. Students even college teachers also.
- To organise a regular Hands-on Training Programme on different topics of Bioinformatics.
- To conduct regular outreach/extension programme to the nearby institutions including Hilly areas.
- To Provide the internship facility to the UG & PG students in Bioinformatics tools & techniques.
- To develop a database on Biodiversity of S. Kula Women’s College, Nambol, Manipur.
Major quantifiable achievements:
- The BIF centre organized 22 nos. of Hands-on Training Programme.
- The Centre organized a 2-days National Seminar on Bioinformatics in Biodiversity in 2009.
- The Centre conducted many dozens of extension outreach programme on Bioinformatics and Biotechnology areas.
- The BIF Centre has also introduced a Career Oriented Course in Bioinformatics in Biodiversity under the UGC.
- Published six papers on International Journals.
- The Centre has been submitted 17 DNA sequences of Banana of Manipur to the NCBI in coordination with Forestry Department, NERIST in 2017.
- Now, the centre is mainly focused on the molecular characterization, Phylogeny analysis and digital database development of the endemic as well as endangered species of Manipur.